Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Toronto man wounded after shooting near Lost and Found nightclub on King St. W. near Portland St. Tuesday, June 3, 2018

One man was hurt in a drive-by shooting in the entertainment district early Tuesday — a few blocks from where two men were killed and a woman was injured three days earlier.

Toronto Police say they received a call for a shooting outside a nightclub at 577 King St. W., east of Bathurst St., around 2:40 a.m.

“A man was shot from a vehicle that was driving by,” Const. Jenifferjit Sidhu said.

The victim, believed to be in his 20s, was found on Portland St. just south of King St. W. — around the corner from a club called Lost and Found — reportedly suffering from a gunshot wound to his hip.

“The victim was taken to hospital but his injuries are not life-threatening,” Sidhu said.

Officers from 52 Division and the Gun and Gang Task Force are investigating, but no arrests have been made.

Gunshots rang out on June 15 — barely two weeks earlier — at the same location.

Det. Darren Worth, of 14 Division, released a statement at the time saying “a firearm was discharged twice at a large crowd of people” near King and Portland Sts. around 2:50 a.m. Fortunately, nobody was injured.

Two men fled the scene on foot. The next day, June 16, one suspect was arrested.

Jefferson Morgan, 29, of Oakville, is charged with attempted murder, uttering death threats and an assortment of firearms offences.

Investigators are still looking for a second man described as about 5-foot-7, with short dark hair that is thinner on the sides. He was last seen wearing a dark jacket, jeans, two-tone sneakers and carrying a dark satchel across his body.

Yet another shooting happened outside the nightclub on March 28, 2013 when it was operating as the Loki Lounge.

Anthony Smith, 21, was killed and Muhammad Khattak, then 19, was wounded in that incident.

The shooting made headlines because the two victims, who allegedly had ties to the Dixon City Bloods street gang, appeared in a now infamous photo with the late Rob Ford on the same night that a cellphone video was recorded of Toronto’s former mayor smoking crack cocaine.

Drug dealer Nisar Hashimi, then 23, was arrested and initially charged with first-degree murder and attempted murder.

Just three months later, Hashimi pleaded guilty to manslaughter and aggravated assault. He was handed a nine-year prison sentence.

Please share this

No comments:

Post a Comment