Saturday, January 30, 2016
Suspected Gunman Domenico Scopelliti 51 surrenders to Toronto Police
Just before 1 a.m. Saturday, Toronto Police announced Domenico Scopelliti, 51, surrendered.
Hours earlier, police had announced that the Toronto man was wanted for first-degree murder and considered armed and dangerous.
Officers were called to a house on Playfair Ave. near Caledonia Rd. just after 5 p.m. Friday. They were told a man in the home had been shot with a rifle.
Const. David Hopkinson says officers closed down the neighbourhood and told people to stay indoors as they moved in.
“(Police) weren’t sure if the shooter was still inside the house or still in the neighbourhood,” he said.
“We put out a caution to advise people to stay inside their homes for a few moments while officers checked the area.”
When officers entered the home they discovered the wounded man, attempted emergency treatment, but he died. Officers searched the home and neighbourhood and were unable to find the gunman.
Police reopened Caledonia Rd. Friday evening, but still had a portion of Playfair Ave. taped off into the night and early Saturday.
A neighbour, who identified himself as Jack, said he believes he knows the victim.
“He was a very well-respected person in the community,” he said. “He was very well-known to the Italian community.”
The man said he was stunned to hear about the violence such a short distance from his home.
“I’m shocked, I’m very shocked to hear that.”
Please share this