Monday, December 2, 2013

Toronto Police Const. John Zivcic dies following crash

TORONTO - Toronto Police Const. John Zivcic died Monday afternoon, following a weekend crash in Etobicoke.

“It’s with great sadness that I want to announce that Const. John Zivcic has passed away at 12:35 p.m.,” Toronto Police deputy chief Peter Sloly said.

Zivcic had been in critical condition in St. Michael’s hospital since Saturday, after suffering life-threatening injuries in the two-car collision.

His family from St. Catharines was at his bedside when he died.

“This amazing family will still need Toronto’s thoughts and prayers,” Sloly said. “They still have many difficult days and weeks and months ahead of them.”

Toronto Police Association president Mike McCormack said it was a “terrible day” for Toronto’s law enforcement personnel.

“Our hearts are broken for John’s family,” he said.

The Canadian flag at 22 division, where Zivcic was an officer, flew at half-mast Monday afternoon.

At City Hall, Mayor Rob Ford called Zivcic a “hard-working constable.”

“On behalf of the City of Toronto, our thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family through this challenging time,” Ford said.

“He worked very hard and that is why we have to support our frontline police men and women, they sacrifice their life day in and day out and it is a very sad day today.”

Ford said he visited the family at the hospital on Saturday.

“Just hoped he’d pull through,” he said. “It wasn’t looking good on (Saturday) night.”

“We really have to support his family here - whatever I can do as mayor, I’m sure whatever the residents of this city can do, we’re here to help them out.”

In a statement, Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly said he was “deeply saddened” to hear about Zivcic’s death.

“On behalf of Toronto City Council and the residents of Toronto, I would like to extend my deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues,” Kelly stated. “His service and courage will not be forgotten.”
Please share this

No comments:

Post a Comment