Toronto's News, Free Daily News from the Toronto Star, Globe and Mail, Toronto Sun, National Post, CP24, CTV, Global, 640toronto, CFRB, 680 News
Friday, July 29, 2011
Arrest made in Ford death threat
A Toronto man is facing charges for making a death threat against Mayor Rob Ford.
Toronto Police arrested the man earlier this month for the alleged death threat.
Police were called in by the city after a man allegedly called 311 and talked about shooting the mayor.
Ford revealed the alleged threat — and an ongoing police investigation — during a press conference about Thursday’s executive committee meeting on possible budget cuts.
“I’ve had a threat,” Ford told reporters when asked about increased security at City Hall during the committee meeting. “I don’t want to (go into further detail) because it is still under police investigation but I don’t take it that seriously.”
But he added “you never know what people are going to do.”
Toronto Police Const. Tony Vella said the threat came via a phone call to 311, the city’s information line around 6 a.m. on July 14.
Anthony Vella, 56, of Toronto was arrested and has been charged with one count of threatening death. He appeared in court July 15.
Although they have the same last name, Const. Vella said he is “in no way related” to the man who was charged.