Monday, May 16, 2016
Toronto needs three new councillors, report says
The findings of a two-year ward boundary review were presented by the Canadian Urban Institute during a public information session Monday. The report recommends adding the councillors and drawing up new wards.
Here are a few details from the report, which will go to executive committee May 24:
• Add three councillors to city council, increasing to 47 wards.
• Each ward would have an average of 61,000 residents.
• The report calls for the creation of three new wards downtown and one new ward north of Hwy. 401, between Bathurst St. and Victoria Park Ave.
• There would be one less ward west of downtown and south of Eglinton Ave.
• The consultants anticipate the proposed change will trigger complaints and a subsequent hearing at the Ontario Municipal Board that will take most of 2017 to resolve.
Please share this